Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Jake Butcher Mansion: So Sad

People, the Butcher Mansion is sad: it really is.

Yesterday, I showed the original floorplan for the second floor (seen left). I compared the Butcher's decorating style to the style of the Ron Burgundy character in Anchorman.

During the Butcher's time the home was tacky. Now, it's just sad.

Rumors circulated for years that Butcher had at least one toilet lined with gold coins. I personally have not seen said toilet but I've heard the rumor repeatedly from various sources. Of course, that doesn't make it true: but based on the decor I saw after the Butcher's left, I wouldn't doubt it.

Do you think Oprah has a toilet in her home that allows her to sh** on money?

I don't think so.

Do you think Nelson Mandela flushes to the sound of toilet water swooshing over gold coins?

Not likely.

Why? Because that is ridiculous.

You know what else is ridiculous? Commercial Bank in Farragut, TN thinking they're going to get $1.2 million for the Butcher Mansion with its current condition and exorbitant maintenance costs.

Developers bought the Butcher estate at auction in 1993 and turned the (approximately) 22,000 sqft mansion into 5 condos: two on the first floor: two on the second floor: and one on the third floor: the basement was left a basement.

Condo #3 is on the second floor and takes up the entire right side of the above floorplan.

The developers made a few tweaks in the build as far as closets and laundry areas, but this is the gist of the plan that exists today.

The changes you'll notice are:
* You no longer have access to the right side of the house from the stair landing. That former hall doorway has been closed off to make a half bath.

* The entry to condo #3 (and condo #4) are through the front door on the first floor, up the winding staircase and through what was once a sitting room.

By the way, there's no elevator in this 22,000 sqft, 4-level home. I hope you enjoy a solid workout because you're going to get one every time you carry in the groceries or a sleeping child.

* The developers took the two bedrooms that once faced the marina and turned it into a living room. There's a pitiful little fireplace in the corner.

* What was once a two-story sunroom on the first floor has since been closed off and is now a family room for Condo #3. Which I have to say, I like the idea of closing that off. It's difficult to decorate 24 ft walls and it's a pain in the ass to heat wasted space. So close it in: that works for me. And there. That was a compliment.

The family room has a really spectacular circle window that looks out to the garages of the homes blocking what was once a rolling pasture and water view. oh well. Actually, if you stand on the far right side of the window and lean to your right as far as you can without falling, then look diagonally to your left, you can catch a peak of the water. So there's that.

* Do you see the dining room, kitchen and master bedroom area in the revised floorplan? That used to be the Butcher's playroom for their kids. This space is huge! How huge? Based on my calculations, the former playroom area is approximately 2,000 sqft. My entire house in Colorado comes in at approximately 1,800 sqft. A 2,000 sqft foot playroom is mind-boggling.

So let's take a look at a couple of images from Condo #3, shall we?
Jake Butcher's Whirlwind Estate - Condo #3 Living Room
This is what you see when you walk through the front door of Condo #3. There's a corner fireplace with a surround made from materials you can pick up at Home Depot for $125. The corner tv unit offers your eyes a secondary black box to look at: so, when you walk into the entry of this condo your eyes shoot off in different directions. Nice. There's absolutely no focal point. And with the duct work above the tv cabinet running the length of the room, this looks like a cookie-cutter, new-build basement to me.

This is the guest bedroom in the original floorplan with the bathroom to the right
There is absolutely nothing special in what the developers did to this house. The former Butcher residence in Clinton, TN can no longer be described as an estate or even a mansion. It's a great big, hacked up, quickly deteriorating, public nuisance. The cost of restoring and maintaining this home is astronomical. No one in their right mind is going to buy this place. And that's why my offer still stands. The question of whether or not I'm in my right mind is still up for debate.

Condo #3 & #4 have a family room like this. The window is great. The view? Not so much.

This is the kitchen in the 3rd condo. There is nothing right about this. I don't feel I need to go into the dated lighting, the dated floors, the old appliances and everything else that's wrong here: the bottom line is there shouldn't be a kitchen here at all. The developers destroyed the resale of this home when they chopped it into boring, unremarkable, terribly-expensive-to-maintain, condos.


This sadly, is the master bedroom in condo 3. There is very limited natural light (electricity is off). You can see where sheetrock has been removed. There's no flooring. The ceiling fan is cheap and, again, it is soooo dark.


And this, my friends, is the master bath. What can I say that hasn't already been said?

Mmm. Mmm. Mmm. Heavy sigh. Heavy sigh.

16 comments:

  1. The rumor about coins embedded in the toilet seat are true. I went to a party at the Butcher house and saw it myself. It's been so long ago I can't remember if the coins were gold or silver. But, I do remember them being U.S. currency.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All true. I saw those coins including the automatic dry cleaner style rack that brought Jake his suits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever... Nothing like reverse racism and jealousy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you kidding me?

      What racism and jealpusy?

      Delete
  4. Nothing like reverse racism and jealousy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WTF are you talking about and why do you keep repeating it?

      Delete
  5. Would still be in banking business if he would have stayed out of politics, there is another person that bankrupted multiple times (and not forced to ) lies constantly, has screwed the working class relentlessly and this dumbass nation elected him POTUS. Charles Manson could get elected if he ran as a republican !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummm... Jake Butcher was a Democrat.

      Delete
    2. There’s always that one pushed off liberal/democrat that has to make EVERYTHING about Trump.🤦🏻‍♀️ Guess what, no one gives a shit about your political views. Oh, and TRUMP IS YOUR PRESIDENT!

      Delete
  6. How would you rent the place danedevlinjust1@gmail.com let me know

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is sad, the story the home et for the family. The house even in its current state is gorgeous. If i had the money i deff. would purchase fix and live in the house. I grew up in a large home et formal living et dinning was used holidays event et basically for show. The house some dated aspects but still well built and solid, kinda like my 26 year old original 500sl that would look rather well around that fountain, lol. I hope someone does save it from further decline. Like i said if had the cash I would, a good 10 years in that home with my taste and bargain finds and inner intuition et practical positive personality it would become the 5. 7 million dollar property that it really is. Ive never been there but something about feels kinda like home. Like i said wish it was mine, as a former nurse too seniors small group with a staff, Nurses nursing assistants, small nursing home, different clientele, but very much a doable venture. Todd Hammond Morrow. North little rock, Ar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Again it should be mine, the secret just putting it out there, in hopes that WHIRLWIND will call me home !!!!! toddmorrow89@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found this home looking at properties on-line. So I looked at pictures, plans and specs of home that has some damage and in need of repair. As former real estate agent, nurse and someone who did not know the homes owner or the family whom at one time called this place home, I saw et see a property that is grand elegant and actually well built. The home has good bones and there is some damage really very little for a home that has been vacant, with no heat et air, for this period of time. The negativity surrounding home is sad, and too you M.T. the reason you have not and shall not obtained WHIRLWIND is purely the energy you have put out there. This property i believe has its own soul, therefore it is apparent the home is holding out for the one individual who sees the grand elegant truly picturesque energy the house is omitting. I feel compelled to speak for the house and what it said too me from just pictures. I wish i had funds to purchase and live there. Its a great find in all reality, sure it would take allot to fix, but obviously it has appeal or you wouldn't want it so bad. Well with that said I like to look at homes old new alike, I see a home in a community that yes became a blemish, a mistake a terrible misfortune for a family that loved and made that dream a reality. But the home has and is holding out for the owner who puts good positive energy into it. I have a tumor in my head, on my pituitary and have been ridiculed and teased my entire life am I gay,is he straight, so I totally get the negative stereotyped nasty comments and lewdness et the much overemphasized stigma that goes with the property and I can much relate. But I see a property that someone, And I do mean when I say " I WISH IT WAS MINE " could see that, some one attempted good idea with condos, but 2 households needs to be made out of property. And maybe its that cyst in my left brain or cyst in my right brain or the gleal scar between the two lobes, Or the fact that Im still alive The house has called me. Strange cause i could never afford it but Know the way Ive been able to positively move forward and do things in my 50 years of life that I was told I wasn't and coudn't and would never do I see something that is slightly damaged deeply scarred and very much ridiculed and misunderstood much like myself. And to you M.T. I don't know you and would like to say change energy your omitting and possibly "whirlwind" will call out and speak to you like she has to me. And one last tip for the right owner of property, whomever she chooses, take some of the house and dismantle portions of and repurpose back into home. Like the 6 bay garage not needed, but brick from that structure floor greenhouse, exposed brick walls certain areas of home, for much more functional. areas in and around home. And donate to Habitat and other entities within that community unused materials ie garage doors vanities and kitchen and bathroom fixtures that would no longer be need in the house that needs the right person to see what i see and size it down accordingly. And if I had the money would save her and Like original owners, wouldn"t splurge on elevators and grandiose fixtures. I really dont believe the gold coin story, but i did see large living quarters and big kitchen which emits family family, and divorced with daughter grandbaby and hopefully more in future could see family and extended family even in-laws all coexsisting easily in that single residential dwelling, maybe thats what original owners intended. And I would have some in and out side wrought iron spiral staircases about 3, the house asked for them. Still here still got that big dream in my own head lol 17 years still alive and know after putting this out there I have awakened et attracted the energies of the universe, FOR 'WHIRLWIND' MAY THE MUCH NEEDED DOWN FLOW, BECOME GRAND AS YOU. T HAMMOND MORROW may the stars and universe attract and prevail.

    ReplyDelete