Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Original Floorplan for the Butcher Mansion: The Second Floor

This is the original floorplan for the Butcher Mansion - the second floor.

I first saw Whirlwind in 1991 after the second owners lost the home to foreclosure.

Though the second owners had the home for approximately 6 years, they hadn't made any significant changes to the home's original decor.

Prior to developers dividing Whirlwind into condominiums, the mansion's first floor sunroom and conference room rose approximately 24 feet to meet the height of the second floor's ceiling.

Butcher's "upper office" housed a jacuzzi. That's it. Just a big jacuzzi in a nondescript room overlooking the conference room below.

The decor of the master bedroom was - and I'm pretty sure I'm right about this - inspired by the great Ron Burgundy. I have included video of the legendary Anchorman below for your viewing pleasure. Warning: This video showcases highly potent, full-on sexual tension. You might not want to watch it at work or in front of impressionable children.





In classic Ron Burgundy style, the Butcher mansion's wallpaper made a statement. And that statement was: 'look at my giant peacock.'

A shimmering Saturday-Night-Fever silver - if you can picture it - served as a not-so-subtle backdrop to the wallpaper's main design element: giant peacocks. The metaphor was not lost on anyone.

Apparently, the "less is more" theory of design was not a theory to which the Butcher's subscribed. It's a little known fact that giant peacocks will not go ignored. They preened on those walls, exposing themselves in every corner of the room, reflected in every square tile of the mirrored ceiling. All around me peacocks undressed me with their beady little eyes. I have to say, I felt a little violated.

Later today I'll post the floorplan of Whirlwind's 2nd floor condo conversion. Until then: you stay classy Anderson County.

No comments:

Post a Comment