Friday, August 31, 2012

Goodbye Whirlwind

Well, today is August 31st, 2012. It has been more than four months since I made my offer to the Farragut branch of Commercial Bank in Tennessee.

I checked on the multiple listing service and the bank's website this afternoon - Whirlwind is still listed at $1,200,000 with the same photos, same Realtor, the same bank representative. And as you can see from my previous posts, this does not bode well for the former Jake Butcher estate.

I withdraw my offer.

A lot can change in four months: namely, the statute of limitations on my patience. It's clear the house is in disrepair and will require a monumental amount of time and money. Time is now an issue.

Things have changed in the Tillyer household. Our eldest son, who was certain to be leaving for boot camp within the year, announced he had no interest in going into the military and would be moving to Los Angeles to pursue a career in acting and improv.

...

...

...

Yeah. That was my reaction.

Granted, he's been involved in improv for the past three years, it just never entered my mind that was on the table.

Matt's dad is retired Air Force, his grandfather is retired Air Force, his friends are going Air Force - it's the natural order of things. We thought it was a given.

After all, college is definitely out. For his Freshman, Sophomore and Junior years at high school Matt set the bar of mediocrity. And then continued to lower it. Theatre, choir, electronic media and gym are the only classes that keep his grade point average from dipping into negative numbers.

Los Angeles is not a place a mother wants to send her kid. Especially when that kid has the street smarts of a 28-week old fetus.

So, priorities have changed and I will no longer be pursuing the restoration of the Butcher Mansion. I will, however, be posting my plans for it soon. I have readers of this blog from all over the United States and various countries - maybe one of you will run with it. I have less than a year before Matt graduates high school. I have a lot of worrying and panicking to do.

2 comments:

  1. Hubster and I had been diligently been searching for an agent to assist us in the financing of the Butcher Mansion. Now, that you have withdrawn your offer, I guess we don't have to competitively outbid you.
    We were just in it for the competition so your exiting the market frees us up to make and offer elsewhere such as planning the restoration of the old Cross-Eyed Cricket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From mansion to cross eyed cricket...really?

    ReplyDelete